Hair loss is one of most common health complaints seen at our Dermatology practice.
Loosing hair can be a manifestation of a wide variety of disorders, including problems of hair cycling, inflammatory conditions that damage hair follicles, and hair shafts abnormalities. It can also occur secondary to trauma, infection, cancer, or radiation therapy.
The different types of hair loss, which can range from mild hair thinning or breakage to complete baldness, can be divided into scarring alopecia, non-scarring alopecia, and structural hair disorders.
Although in some cases the cause of hair loss can be easily identified, other times the diagnosis may be challenging. To properly diagnose our guests, we perform a thorough Dermatologic evaluation, which includes:
- reviewing how and when the hair loss started,
- a complete medical and family history,
- a physical exam of the scalp, hair, and other body sites, and
- laboratory testing (including bloodwork, and if appropriate, a biopsy of the scalp).
Fortunately, there is an array of solutions available for hair loss and we can customize a treatment plan to fit the needs and preferences of each guest. Some of these options include:
- topical treatments (shampoos, solutions, foams, and creams),
- steroid injections
- oral supplements, vitamins, and prescription medications, and
- platelet rich plasma therapy also known as PRP.
Keep in mind that, when it comes to hair loss, time is of the essence, so please don’t delay scheduling your consultation with one of our Florida Skin Center providers and start your hair restoration treatment as soon as you can.